Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Touch of Tabitha

Hello. My name is Crystal Beavin. About five years ago, I started my own sewing business out of my home. The funny thing is, it was my baby's due date the day I went to apply for my dba. On the way back home from the county office, I told my husband that we should go to the hospital because I think I'm in labor. And I was. After we took our three older children to where they needed to be, we went to the hospital to find out I was already dilated to a number 4. So the funny thing about it was I had a baby and started my own business all in the same day! It was wild.

But, after a year of colic and sleepless nights, I decided that this was not the time to work my business. So, I put "House of Thread" on hold until I felt I could handle it.

Five years later, I've decided that this is the time. Now this time I went back to the county office to apply for my new business name - "A Touch of Tabitha."

Through these past five years, the Lord has taught me a lot through a woman in the Bible. You guessed it - her name was Tabitha. Really her name is Dorcas, but it is translated as Tabitha. I actually wanted to name my little girl Tabitha, but my husband didn't want that name. So now I'm named my business after her.

Tabitha was a seamstress who blessed a lot of people through her work. You can read her story, as short as it is, in the Bible at Acts 9. Tabitha's story has inspired me so much and I felt that I have "a Touch of Tabitha" in me. That explains the name for my business.

No comments: